Saturday, November 12, 2011

Love a Good Tuk Tuk Ride

We just landed in Seoul.  Our flight was delayed a bit so we treated ourselves to a long overdue foot massage.  Touring Angkor Wat took a toll of our feet. Yesterday we toured Angkor Wat with two awesome tour guides, our friends Rathana and Reatre.  The temples were beautiful.  Unbelievable, actually.  Im pretty sure our team collectively took about 1000 pictures.  But, because the temples are such a popular tourist spot, they were crawling with child laborers.  And they dont leave you alone until you buy something.  "$1, special price for you."  Its downright annoying when the adults follow you around selling stuff, but its super upsetting when its little kids.  The worst thing we saw was two little kids, maybe around 2 years old, selling animal mobiles.  There handler was lurking around the corner keeping a close eye on them.  We were told some trafficked kids are given "#32" or "#whatever" tattoos, to label them as property and so their handlers can keep track of them.  I tried to look for these tattoos on the kids at Angkor Wat, but didnt see any.  That's good, I guess.  Matt asked one kid why she wasnt in school and she responded with a quick "school in the morning."  We're not sure if she really had school the next morning, or if this was a rehersed answer.  Considering it was a Saturday and most kids do not have school on Sundays in Cambodia, we think it was scripted.  Sad.  On a more positive note, we hada great last day hanging out with our CHO friends (who are some of the nicest people ever, BTW).  They really treated us to a great day touring Siem Reap.  I really feel like we made some lifelong friends.  Oh, I forgot to mention that we went for an elephant ride up a giant hill in Angkor Wat.  Awesome.  Because my camera died at this point, I made Kim make a video .  We'll post it ASAP.  The ride was slow and calming.  I could travel by elephant, I think; it would take 5 hours for me to get to work each morning, but I'd be able to see the  traffic a mile away, which is a perk.  We ended our last night with dinner at the Red Piano (I think it's our favorite restaurant) and some Blue Pumpkin.  If you're ever in Cambodia, get the mango ice cream at Blue Pumpkin- it's awesome.  As we sit here waiting in the Seoul airport, I can't help but think about how blessed we are.  God has really blessed each and everyone of us on this team, and I think, as a unit, we couldnt be stronger.  God brought us together for a reason and I can't wait to see what He has in store for us in the upcoming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment