Wednesday, November 9, 2011
Safe Haven
We just got back from Safe Haven, which is just down the road from CHO in Poipet. The road to get there was quite rough, I felt like we were off roading or something. I think the recent flooding took a toll on the terrain. Safe Haven is absolutely inspiring. There were some kids there that had just recently been rescued. There were more boys than girls, which I found surprising. There was one boy who had just gotten there and was hiding under the table while we were playing with the other kids. We played soccer with them, which turned out to be a bit more hardcore than I was ready for. They rarely passed to me; smart move. The girls that graduated from the Freedom Stones Project live at Safe Haven. We toured their sewing room and bought A LOT of their jewlery. Dont worry mom, I got you a necklace. Safe Haven is made up of a school, library, guest houses, wood carving room, a large chicken coop, and lots of fish ponds. Its incredible how God has provided for these kids, and taken them out of such intense situations and given them hope. Im not sure you can meet these kids and hear their story and not be changed. To say that I feel blessed, is an understatement. These kids have nothing, but they have everything they need. They go to school from the ages of 7 to 15, then they "graduate" and learn a trade. Some cook, some sew, some learn motobike repair, jewelery making, and some go to the university. The universities average about $300/year. Its so awesome that some of these kids now have that option. I think CHO is currently looking for sponsors for the kids. Once I learn more, Ill post the info here in the case that you're interested in sponsoring. We're eating lunch now, more fried noodles, and are about to head over the the safe houses, which are more like foster homes. Ill report back soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment